When you move to Denmark, you must get a CPR number, MitID, tax card and a NemKonto and register your entry to Denmark.

Photo: Bo Janting

When you arrive in Denmark, you need to get a:

All residents in Denmark need to have a CPR number (civil registration number). You will need it to open a bank account, access your health insurance, borrow books from the library, pay tax and receive a salary etc.

You must meet these requirements to get a CPR number:

  • You are staying in Denmark for more than 3 months
  • You have an EU residence document, if you are an EU citizen (Nordic citizens excepted)
  • You have a residence permit, if you are a non-EU citizen
  • You have a place to live.

You are not able to register for your CPR number until you actually live at your new address in Denmark. It must be a valid address, meaning that you have the right to register your address in the CPR system.

You need to apply for a CPR number at the Danish National Register. The office is located at the Citizen Service (Borgerservice) at Odinsgade 14, 8900 Randers C. You must book an appointment in advance.

MitID is your personal secure login for:

  • Using public online self-service solutions
  • Accessing your Digital Post
  • Online banking
  • Validating online purchases
  • Verifying your identity on a range of public and private websites.
  • Signing documents digitally.

MitID allows you to log on using the same logon solution whether you are checking your digital post from public authorities, checking your accounts, your insurances or your tax information, etc. Besides using MitID as secure login, MitID also works as your signature online. It is just as valid as the one you put on paper.

Your MitID is issued by the Citizen Service.

Read more about how to get MitID.

If you need help with MitID, you must book an appointment with the Citizen Service in advance.

All individuals and businesses in Denmark are required to have a NemKonto (Easy Account). Payments in Denmark, such as salaries and payments from the public authorities are made to your NemKonto through electronic transactions. Most other bills and payments are also made electronically through your NemKonto.

Contact a bank in order to open an account. The bank will tell you what documents you have to provide.

To open a Danish bank account, you must have a Danish CPR number.

Read more about NemKonto.

If you have any income in Denmark, you need to apply for a tax card from the Danish Tax Agency (Skattestyrelsen).

Exactly how much you must pay depends on your earnings and the tax deductions and allowances you are entitled to.

If you do not apply for a tax card, your employer will deduct 55% from your salary.

Apply for a tax card on the website of the Danish Tax Agency.

Registering in Denmark

When you want to report your move to Denmark from a foreign country, you must make an appointment at the Citizen Service (Borgerservice), Odinsgade 14, 8900 Randers C.

You must bring:

  • Passport/ID card
  • Residence permit (if you need one)
  • The form: Arrivals from foreign countries
  • Lease
  • Marriage certificate (if you are married)
  • Birth certificate (if your children under 18 are moving with you)

Upon entry, you must inform the Citizen Service about:

  • Your name
  • Your CPR number
  • Your new address in Denmark
  • The address abroad that you are moving from
  • The date of entry
  • Your preferred doctor (you can find a list of doctors at