Unemployed Benefits

If you want unemployment insurance, you must apply for it. An unemployment insurance policy is taken out from an unemployment insurance fund, also known as an "A-kasse". These are private associations that are often affiliated with trade unions, and other professional organisations.

Pro tip: Apply for an a-kasse before you begin work or while you're in school, to ensure it's available if you become unemployed, or when you get out of school and before you find a job.

Most unemployment insurance funds are connected to specific trade unions, but there are also a number of cross-industrial unemployment insurance funds. It is possible to become a member of an unemployment insurance fund without being a member of the associated trade union. The Ministry of Employment (GT) can guide you with further information on unemployment benefits (dagpenge). You can get general information on different unemployment insurance funds at the 'A-kasse Guide' listed in the blue box to the right. More specific information can be found on the various a-kasse websites.

Member of an unemployment insurance fund

You can become a member of an unemployment insurance fund if you are between 18-63 years and reside in Denmark (or another EU/EEA country and work in Denmark).

Read more about being insured against unemployment in Denmark here (website in Danish).

Unemployment benefits

In Denmark you must apply for unemployment benefits with your a-kasse, if you become unemployed. Initially, you have to register yourself as a job seeker on your first day of unemployment. You can do this at your local job centre or on jobnet.dk.

Job centres

In Randers you will find one jobcenter. Here you can get general information on how to find a job.

For more information go to Jobcenter Randers' web page

Please note that the jobcenter is not able to translate CVs or job vacancies. The jobcenter provides resources enabling you to find work, and an IT system to advertise vacancies for employers, using a job and CV database called “Jobnet”. This can be accessed through the job centre computers or via jobnet.dk. Your trade union/a-kasse may be able to help with translation of skills, and job vacancies. As well, Google Translate might be useful for initial translation help, but be sure to have any information you translate that way proofread before sending, to ensure it was translated correctly.

Trade unions

The trade unions play a pivotal role in the Danish labour market. Thus, a lot of Danish workers are a member of a trade union. The trade unions assist with cases regarding pay and working conditions, and they can, for example, help with work-related injury cases and rehabilitation. Some trade unions also offer personal consultancy and career planning.

Selecting a trade union

Your choice of trade union and a-kasse depends on your education and workplace. The various trade unions are associated with specific unemployment insurance funds, but you do not need to be a member of both a trade union and an unemployment insurance fund – it is possible to be a member of just one of these organizations, independently of the other.

Good to know

If you become unemployed while in Denmark with your family, you should be aware of your family members´ rights to residency in Denmark. There are a number of specific requirements relating to your spouse/partner living in Denmark.