Getting Married

All couples who live in Randers and wish to marry must fill in a Marriage Declaration.

If you move to Denmark as a couple, but have not yet married, you may wish to do so once here. In that case, there are a few things to know about getting married in Denmark, and Randers. From the paperwork to the day of the event, here's a brief list of important information. Tillykke! (Congratulations in Danish)

Marriage Declaration

When you decide to marry, you have to fill out a Marriage Declaration, and deliver it to Citizen Service (Borgerservice).

Get a Marriage Declaration here

You can also come down to Citizen Service, which is located at Odinsgade 14, 8900 Randers, and get a Marriage Declaration there.

Necessary Documentation

The Marriage Declaration must be handed in personally at Citizen Service along with a fee of 500 DKK. If you prefer to make a bank transfer, you can contact Citizen Service for an account number. It is important that you remember to bring the receipt for the bank transfer, when you hand in the Marriage declaration.

When you hand in the marriage declaration, you need to bring the following documentation:

  • Documentation that shows you are staying in Denmark legally, at the time of the marriage - for example a residence permit, visa or entry stamp. Procedural stay (for example during an asylum case) does not provide the legal grounds for marrying in Denmark. This is also the case during complaint cases.
  • Birth or naming certificate.
  • Civil status certificate (a declaration from your native country that shows you are single). It must be translated into Danish or English and be no more than 2 months old. If your native country IS NOT in Europe, USA, Canada, Australia or New Zealand, the certificate must include an apostille or a legalisation statement.
  • A divorce decree or a death certificate including an apostille or a legalisation statement, if you are divorced or a widow/widower. It must be translated into Danish or English.   

If your documents have been issued in a country which is a member of the Apostil convention (, it is enough to attain an apostille from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the specific country.

Date of marriage

The date of the marriage will be set, when you hand in the marriage declaration. The marriage can, at the earliest, take place 14 days later.

Other details

Civil marriages are celebrated in the Town Hall, Rådhustorvet 1, 8900 Randers C.

You must have two witnesses to your marriage. The marriage ceremony can be conducted in Danish, English, or German. If you wish to have it in a language other than those listed, you will need to provide an interpreter, who can also be one of your witnesses. You are welcome to bring up to 75 guests to help celebrate the event.

Weddings at the Town Hall are not held on Sundays or holidays, so please plan accordingly.

Change of name

According to the Danish Marriage Act, foreigners cannot change their names in connection with the marriage. Such changes must be undertaken by the proper authority in the non-Dane's home country.


If you have any further questions, please contact Citizen Service (Borgerservice) by telephone +45 8915 1515 or by e-mail at